Sometime I wonder if I should try to have my son tested so he can move up a grade. He should be in second grade but started kindergarten a year later when he was 6. This was all because of the stupid enrollment age requirements. I feel like this is really holding him back. Had he been born a week earlier, he would have been eligible. By the end of this school year he will be reading and understanding 3rd grade level books. He’s great at math, he has a huge vocabulary, his writing has improved a ton. Anything he isn’t excelling at is mostly because he is super lazy. It drives me insane. He has some issues with creativity, self-control, and working neatly but that can improve. I also think moving up faster so he can join orchestra or band sooner would help a ton. Music is not an option in this family. I’ve told him he has to take a year of some kind of instrument (preferably strings and not any kind of brass instrument – haha), but if he ends up not enjoying it, he doesn’t have to do it again the following year. I really need to light a fire under his ass because he really isn’t all that concerned about school and he needs to be. He hates doing homework. He has an attitude like, “Well I already KNOW it.” and that’s because he’s definitely bored. We’ll see what happens.
“I love Starbucks hot chocolate!”
This was news to me. I was like “When have you been to Starbucks??” Apparently my 7 year old is a fan and has been a few times with his aunt. We shared a birthday cake pop. I had to post this photo of my son because I love his haircut and he is getting so big and is not my little baby anymore. 🙁
1. It’s harder to take a punch than to throw one.
2. Find the people who make you laugh and follow them around like a golden retriever. Laughing is like a vitamin. You can never get enough of it.
3. A guy who hugs a lot is comfortable in his own skin.
4. Read poetry.
5. There’s nothing wrong with looking at porn, but having sex with someone you care about is a thousand times more fun.
6. When you feel like crying, for joy or out of pain, let ‘er rip. If you don’t those tears out, they will calcify in your chest and make it harder to love as fully and deeply as you would like to.
7. Crank the tunes when you have to clean the house.
8. Look deeply into the eyes of the one you are falling for to get a glimpse of his or her soul.
9. Spend a chunk of time every year with people who are much less fortunate than you are. It will fill your heart with gratitude.
10. Never lie about anything really important. The first lie will cause you to have to lie again and again to cover up the truth. And each time you’ll chip away an important piece of yourself.
11. Find work that makes you happy. If you can change the world in the process all the better.
12. If you get the chance to travel across the country or across the globe, take it. You will learn way more from people who are different from you than the ones who are the same.
13. Doing nothing is better than doing the wrong thing. But you are going to make mistakes. Tons of them. The real question is what you will learn from them.
14. Don’t be in any rush to get married. Divorce really sucks. A good marriage can start when you’re 21 or 61.
15. There’s nothing wrong with a Cuban cigar once in a while.
16. Money and power look good, but they won’t fill your being with joy the way your family will.
17. If you like guys, I will fight for your ability to have equal rights in every way.
18. Find a way to move your body that gives you pleasure. You don’t have to be an athlete to be a man, but your body is a temple and you need to care for it, enjoy it, and use it to express yourself.
19. Drinking can be fun in moderation. Just make sure to ask for help if you find yourself blacking out or doing things you regret.
20. Radical honesty will get you very far in this world. Most people don’t have the guts to speak their mind, regardless of the consequences.
21. Always give your spouse birthday presents in bed.
22. Find a spirituality that you can wear like a loose coat that keeps you warm no matter the weather. God should provide you comfort not make you feel ashamed of yourself.
23. Sex is great but holding your spouse in the middle of the night is one of the best feelings any guy can have.
24. Live passionately. Dream big. Don’t back down.
25. Always remember I love you, no matter what happens. You cannot lose me. I will always be there.